Are you ready for Windows Vista?

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Halifax-lad

Are you ready for Windows Vista?

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Get Ready for Windows Vista

note: This is for those of us who use Windows, yes we know Linux exists but are not interested, so no Linux Ads.

And just so you don't sulk here is a Linux Link
UBT - Halifax-lad

If anyone at all is interested you can download a BETA version to test

Do you want to help improve Windows Vista?

Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:If anyone at all is interested you can download a BETA version to test.....

Yea right - have you seen the size of the 32-bit download of 3.5Gb ??

3.0 mbps Fast Cable/DSL - 4.5 hours
1.5 mbps T1 - 9 hours
768 kbps Cable/DSL - 18 hours
(512 kbps - 27 hours)
256 kbps Cable/DSL - 54 hours

The 64-bit version is even longer (to download, that is !!)

So, OK, if I give M$ some more money, I can get a DVD of the program which is in BETA and probably won't work and then might screw up...etc, etc, etc......!

I think I CAN wait....hell, I've still got NT and 98SE on some of my PC's...!

regards,

Tim
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Well, here i am posting using VISTA 64.
As to be expected drivers are a bit patchy at best.
seems very pretty.
more like style xp on steriods, but i have only had it running now for 2 hours.

now do i try boinc on it???
something tells me it will spit its dummy bad!
might try tomorrow.
UBT - Halifax-lad

I know there are users running BOINC on Vista and it works more or less fine its some of the individual projects that seem to fail on Vista.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

vista 64 ditched.
dual booting with xp appears to be a major issue.
vista x86 now on.
first impressions are very good for me. its like the whole windows 98 - xp thing all over again :lol:
have stuck boinc only on there so far,but tonight i will switch it over to vista and leave it to crunch predictor for me and see how it goes.

interesting fact is that the licence they issue allows it to be put on upto 10 machines.
And yes i know that would be 10 machines that are likely to fall over and die most horribly.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Just checked what I would need to do to my comp to get Vista working correctly when it comes out (now the checker is online and working)

All I would need to do is get a graphics card to use some features but even without one it would still work fine
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

I know what you are saying there.
My home pc has only just (4 months)been upgraded.
As soon as DX10 is out it will end up not doing the real neat gravity effects, or thats the impression i am getting atm.
the people i do feel sorry for are those that can't wait for it and are buying the Ageia PhysX cards.
Back to vista.
It had a bit of a moment, well more of a day really, installed the Etrust AV software and it killed internet explorer, network conection was fine, boinc was fine.
So switched back to xp for the night, came back to it later the next day and it was fine.
all very strange.
all very beta i guess.