Reliant Robin space shuttle

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
Gary

Reliant Robin space shuttle

Post by Gary »

Forgot to make post on Sunday, just in case anyone missed it, Top Gear built & launched .........

A plastic pig space shuttle

watch it here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1Ek_TlTBE

BBC Production notes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/produ ... ttle.shtml
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

It was actually quite impressive!  Shame the release bolt didn't work though...
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

I have to say that I was mightily impressed by what was achieved....quite scary that it actually went up straight and didn't just explode on the ground.

As Penny says, what a shame a bolt failed, coz although I didn't expect it to "glide in and land" properly, the rest of the flight could well have re-established the UK's "kudos" in the space race 8)

PS I wonder how much of the licence fee was used to pay for it....! I, for one, would happily pay at least double if they could try again... :wink:

regards

Tim
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

My thoughts exactly - worth every ha'penny!
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

Semmy

Post by Semmy »

Mmmm... one of my fave ex-hobbies, High Powered Amateur Rocketry. Spent many a happy day at one or other of the Uk launch sites prepping for a flight.
You would be suprised how sophisticated some of the guys got with their kit, altimeters, gyro stabilised, radio beacons, inflight video, broadcast video the lot!

http://www.ukra.org.uk/ - The UK governing body (bloomin nice chaps too)
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Timbo wrote:I have to say that I was mightily impressed by what was achieved....
could well have re-established the UK's "kudos" in the space race 8)

regards

Tim
There was a program on  BBC4  "Time Shift: British Space Race" which is still occasionally shown on uktv history - British Space Race.

"The story of the unsung pioneers of British space exploration - the rocket engineers, the scientists and the dreamers who never gave up on their vision despite lack of resources."

Its probably not that well known just how advanced Britain was with rocket technology and was a leading player in the space race, especially with the use of Hydrogen peroxide (the stuff used for hair dye)  as fuel.

As usual it was down to a lack money and investment that put an end to the project, eventually seeing most of our scientists go to the US.

The program finishes with the successful launch of "..........Blue or Blue something" (not sure what it was called) in the Australian desert, a truly fantastic sight and achievement considering the lack of funds.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:The program finishes with the successful launch of "..........Blue or Blue something" (not sure what it was called) in the Australian desert, a truly fantastic sight and achievement considering the lack of funds.
Think it was "Blue Streak" but the project was cancelled by the then UK Govt of the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Streak_missile

regards

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Think it was "Blue Streak" but the project was cancelled by the then UK Govt of the day:

regards

Tim
Just as the commercial satellite business took off !!