Virgin Media and Sky

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
DJH@GB-Ro

Virgin Media and Sky

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Have those of you Virgin Media customers lost many channels? :o
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Not interested in losing one channel (Sky 1) the others that have gone were nothing anyway, quite pathetic to read about other idiots who are so mad they have gone. So what :!:  :lol:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Maybe they watch a lot of Sky One and like things like Lost and the Simpsons?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Virgin Media and Sky

Post by UBT - Timbo »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:Have those of you Virgin Media customers lost many channels? :o

I feel sorry for the cable customers. Wonder how they will now fare getting refunds from Virgin for their so-called "service" if the number of channels they receive has now been reduced.

And likewise, it's typical of Sky to want to sell a "bouquet" (as they call it) of various channels, some of which are "in-demand" and others are not.

As such Virgin want to cherry pick and Sky don't want to allow that.

Hence the impasse.

Give it a month or so and either one will give in, or knowing Branson, he'll just go and do deals direct with other broadcasters for other content.

And in the end Sky will suffer coz they will lose the revenue coz they are now receiving less income for "processing" the same signal which will now only go out on Sky and to a degree on Freeview.

regards,

Tim
Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

I agree with Tim that Sky will possibly lose out long term - what worries me most is that FreeSat is currently hosted by them.  Recognising the long term implications this may have, the BBC is considering an independant satellite platform for FreeSat (which means that Channel4 and Five will no longer only be available via a Sky decoder).  Consultation on this proposal are currently underway and you are welcome to make your own contribution at Open Consultation.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Virgin have added a package of repeats and more pay per view and this is their excuse not to cut prices.
Sky will lose out slightly on the customers who remain with virgin but any who switch will add far more revenue each than each lost one.
Neither company are saints, Virgin have been claiming they offer sky sports cheaper than sky but omit to mention they do not offer the large number of options available on sky but not on virgin (match highlights/choice of matches/loads of extra NFL stuff/tennis etc etc). Sky are pushing the catch up weekends they will be running so cable switchers will not lose out while waiting for installation.
There will be a compromise at some point and both sides will claim victory but are any sky viewers going to switch to Virgin over this? I doubt it but there will be a number going the other way who probably will not go back (12 month contracts anyway).
NTL bottled it when it came to bidding for the premiership rights and lost their chance to make a serious challange to sky.
I think Virgin are hoping this will force some sort of investigation as probably their only chance to challenge Sky's massive market share.
Shame they cannot be forced to allow each other to compete directly for customers on each others platforms.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Either way I couldn't care less I'm with Virgin and Sky can ***** (insert word of choice) off
Papa

Post by Papa »

sky 1 is the only good channel they have IMO
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Never watch the TV anyways --- it's full of poop  :?