FREE Smart meters for homes?

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

FREE Smart meters for homes?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just found this on the BBC website - basically it's the idea of making the gas and electricity meter (usually kept under the stairs) show in real time (and the real cost!), how much energy you are consuming....:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6550361.stm

and the older news story is here:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4754109.stm

What a simple idea....and so easy to implement, if they can agree a common standard to make them all interchangeable (which becomes relevant if you switch suppliers).

regards,

Tim

(Edit - updated with correct link URL)
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Was just about to say they have been talking about this for ages now, then I noticed the date of the article :wink:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

A "simple" smart meter has been used for many many years---customers with the old coin in the slot meter knew exactly what their gas/ele was costing as they used it (and they could be plunged into darkness if they didn't keep an eye on the meter or enough change handy).
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Was just about to say they have been talking about this for ages now, then I noticed the date of the article :wink:
Yup - my fault - pasted wrong URL link (but updated it now).

The reason why it's now relevant is that energy suppliers may be giving these new smart meters away free of charge...not sure if they will charge for relocating the new meters in a "viewable" position, instead of being hidden away in some dark corner  :wink:

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Would be better if it was a smart meter as opposed to real time monitoring