Cosmology@Home

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Rick Horn

Cosmology@Home

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Hi folks, I have just taken on the job of Cosmology@Home cheerleader( although Tim seems to have forgotten to change me over).
I thought I`d give you an update on the team`s progress. We are currently in #4 position in the world rankings, and #1 in the UK.

The WUs are coming thick and fast, and this a great opportunity to consolidate our position and even to get higher up the world rankings.

There dosen`t seem to be much progress on exporting xml stats at the moment, but I`m sure it will happen fairly soon.

Regards,
Rick.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Cosmology@Home

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Hi folks, I have just taken on the job of Cosmology@Home cheerleader( although Tim seems to have forgotten to change me over).
Hi Rick,

Hadn't forgotten, but had to go to London yesterday and didn't get back until quite late....but which time I was pretty "shattered".

All done now though !

regards,

Tim
UBT - Rick Horn

XML stats should be exporting very shortly.
UBT is still in #4 in the world rankings, but not for long if we don`t get some more credits under our belts, there are some teams below us who have a higher RAC than we do.
So come on you budding cosmologists, just a little more CPU time on this project will make a lot of difference to our world ranking hopes.

Regards,
Rick.           :thin:
UBT - Rick Horn

A quick update on progress:
World ranking 7 (down 3), UK ranking 1.
Outlook: grim.

Regards, Rick.
Gary

Post by Gary »

As soon as the fun with ABC has finished I'll switch to cosmology or at least add to the crunching queue.
UBT - Rick Horn

Thanks for your help Gary. I`ve had another offer of help from a Cosmo team member once ABC is in the clear.
I`m only running Cosmo and ABC myself and am trying to do a balancing act between the two projects.

Many thanks once again.

Regards, Rick.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Can't help, project not accepting new accounts! :(  :(
UBT - Rick Horn

melter65 wrote:Can't help, project not accepting new accounts! :(  :(
I think they should be accepting new accounts quite soon, but in the meantime, thanks for trying.

Regards, Rick.
UBT - Rick Horn

Although we are slowly descending through  the world rankings, #9 at the moment, we still retain the #1 UK spot.
Our UK position seems fairly safe for now.

Rick.
UBT - Rick Horn

UBT currently at #8 in the world (up 1) UK #1 (unchanged).
The new CAMB application is much faster than the old one and will run the average WU in 10 minutes, producing a fixed credit of 6 (2.4GHz).

Regards, Rick.
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote: The new CAMB application is much faster the old one and will run the average WU in 10 minutes, producing a fixed credit of 6 (2.4Ghz).

Regards, Rick.
Just returned two
of them.
credit 6 every time
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

When is the project going to open up for new accounts? any news and such?
UBT - Rick Horn

UBT - Simon wrote:When is the project going to open up for new accounts? any news and such?
As far as I know it is open now. You may need the invitation code which is rapscallion.

Rick.
UBT - Knightlight

Post by UBT - Knightlight »

I just tried attaching to that project, above the box where is asks for email and password it said not currently accepting new users, however is you are a current user to can attached the project.

I wonder when they will accept new accounts.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Try connecting to the site in a browser, create an account, using the invite code above, then try attaching as an existing user.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Although we are slowly descending through  the world rankings, #9 at the moment, we still retain the #1 UK spot.
Our UK position seems fairly safe for now.

Rick.
If there's one thing in life I've learnt it's don't say things like 'safe for now!' - it just invites trouble!

The Scottish Team snook past us!

Well didn't so much as sneak but trampled, waving their claymores, lifting their kilts and showing us their backsides as they raced past - all 4 of them!

Looking at Megacrunchers results show that he's getting twice what he's claiming so it seems that they're quite generous with the credit. He's getting around 650/day/CPU which is quite impressive!

So I'm just finishing off some ABCs and a RALPH and going 100% (as previously promised) on this for a while.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Oh well its a shame that I can't sign up for it yet :( though once its open fully we'll charge past waving our own Rapiers and Shooting them in there bare ar*es with our long bows
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Well I've just attached, I'll see if can find my long bow :twisted:

Looking at the stats though, I'm not sure I can shoot that far :dontknow:
megacruncher
The Scottish BOINC Team member

Post by megacruncher »

UBT - Mikee wrote: The Scottish Team snook past us!

Well didn't so much as sneak but trampled, waving their claymores, lifting their kilts and showing us their backsides as they raced past - all 4 of them!
I think you've been watching way too much of Mel Gibson's back catalogue. But yes, it was the most effective surprise ambush since we did the much the same thing to you for Chess960 last month!  :lol:  
UBT - Mikee wrote: Looking at Megacrunchers results show that he's getting twice what he's claiming so it seems that they're quite generous with the credit. He's getting around 650/day/CPU which is quite impressive!
It is handy especially if you have a roomfull of Quads at your disposal.  :D

Still that's not a bad fight-back that you are all mounting. TSBT are heavily out numbered by you but not necessarily out-gunned. You closed the gap to 3K at the week-end  but I think we doubled it today.

Now that I've finally hit 1 million for CPDN earlier today [well Monday whenever that was] I'll be able to concentrate on cosmology so look forward to our RAC going up.

Anyway may the best team win and as the ancient highland battle-cry has it, "Ger it up yiz!"
Last edited by megacruncher on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Nice going Mega, now maybe when you've downed a couple of bottles of your favourite tipple you could assign a few of those Quads to UBT   :?

Just one question though, how the hell did a Scotsman keep his wallet open long enough to purchase a room full of Quads?

Joking aside, we here at UBT love a challenge and I'm sure in 30 years time I'll have saved enough pocket money to buy my first Quad  :P

Gary.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

megacruncher wrote:It is handy especially if you have a roomfull of Quads at your disposal.  :D

Still that's not a bad fight-back that you are all mounting. TSBT are heavily out numbered by you but not necessarily out-gunned. You closed the gap to 3K at the week-end  but I think we doubled it today.

Now that I've finally hit 1 million for CPDN earlier today [well Monday whenever that was] I'll be able to concentrate on cosmology so look forward to our RAC going up.

Anyway may the best team win and as the ancient highland battle-cry has it, "Ger it up yiz!"
Hi megacruncher :wave:

We're working our little socks off trying to keep TSBT in check :D
Congrats on your 2nd million credit project Image

And thats a mighty impressive croft you've got there mate :thumbup:
megacruncher

Post by megacruncher »

Thanks for the Welcome.

Quads are fairly cheap now and every serious Boincer should have at least one, irrespective of national stereotype.   :)  You can easily buy a Q6600 for under £200. [I remember buying a 486 DX @ 66MHz for lots more than that.  :shock:]

The gap between UBT and TSBT seems to be more or less fixed at 5-6K for C@H. No real change today. This is definitely a marathon not a sprint.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

megacruncher wrote:Thanks for the Welcome.

Quads are fairly cheap now and every serious Boincer should have at least one, irrespective of national stereotype.   :)  You can easily buy a Q6600 for under £200. [I remember buying a 486 DX @ 66MHz for lots more than that.  :shock:]

The gap between UBT and TSBT seems to be more or less fixed at 5-6K for C@H. No real change today. This is definitely a marathon not a sprint.
Hi Mega....welcome to UBT Forum.

Q6600's can be had quite cheaply as you say - seems the going rate on eBay is around £140....but then you've got to add in the cost of a quad mobo, some DDR2, a half decent graphics card (ok, say £60 ??) and maybe a new OS (ok Linux is free...!).

So, you're looking at maybe £300-£350....not expensive, but it's quite a bit to spend if you're only replacing something else that is only one or two generations old.... :oops:

I'm certainly in the running to upgrade 3 PC's this year, but the cost needs to come down a little more, before I can shell out around a grand on three replacement CPU/mobo/Ram/VGA combo's.

regards

Tim

PS No offence taken on the TSBT advertising.....am sure one of our lot will probably do the same on your forum...:oops:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:

Hi Mega....welcome to UBT Forum.

Q6600's can be had quite cheaply as you say - seems the going rate on eBay is around £140....but then you've got to add in the cost of a quad mobo, some DDR2, a half decent graphics card (ok, say £60 ??) and maybe a new OS (ok Linux is free...!).

So, you're looking at maybe £300-£350....not expensive, but it's quite a bit to spend if you're only replacing something else that is only one or two generations old.... :oops:

I'm certainly in the running to upgrade 3 PC's this year, but the cost needs to come down a little more, before I can shell out around a grand on three replacement CPU/mobo/Ram/VGA combo's.

regards

Tim

PS No offence taken on the TSBT advertising.....am sure one of our lot will probably do the same on your forum...:oops:

And for some of us lazy bums, £200 is two and a half times our weekly income (Queue violins)  :roll:

Hobo Frog
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:

And for some of us lazy bums, £200 is two and a half times our weekly income (Queue violins)  :roll:

Hobo Frog
Well that's all right then...... just live on flies and other pond life and in 5 weeks time, you'll have a nice shiny new CPU...:oops:

I'm sure you can manage that...

Unless of course, you're not really a frog at all and you've been having us all on, for the last six months....

I think we should be told...

regards

Tim
megacruncher

Post by megacruncher »

Sheesh :roll:, and somewhere back in this thread someone tried to suggest that Scots were err.. overly fiscally prudent.

It's the lot of the habitual PC upgrader that he must face the fact, every couple of years or so, that his rig is no longer upgradable; chipsets sockets and memory standards have moved on and he has to move with Moores law and replace everything.

Of course for the Boinc Farmer in particular this is a pricey option. But it has to be done: A Boincer has got to spend what a boincer has got to spend. You can save money by getting very basic graphic cards for most of the PCs (however many Boinc crunching stations you might think you need, nobody needs more than one top-end gaming machine). You can also recover a few dozen quid selling bits from the retired machines on e-bAY. So all-in-all the net upgrade cost per Quad shouldn't be more than £300.

Which, for an old timer like me whose first 286 in 1990 cost £1250 (about £2000 worth of groceries now), seems remarkably good value.  :)
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Well that's all right then...... just live on flies and other pond life and in 5 weeks time, you'll have a nice shiny new CPU...:oops:

I'm sure you can manage that...

Unless of course, you're not really a frog at all and you've been having us all on, for the last six months....

I think we should be told...

regards

Tim
You mean you doubt my word as a up squatting member of pond life? :shock:

I can assure you I can turn many shades of green at times :?

Gary.
megacruncher

Congratulations

Post by megacruncher »

On checking the latest stats it does look as though the quantity of UBT has prevailed over the quality of TSBT (26 against 5: I hope you are proud, you big bunch of bullies :wink: ).
So congratulations to UBT. I hope you agree that we punched above our weight and have given you a good contest.
Not that you can relax.  :) I certainly plan to hold onto my top 10 individual position and I imagine that the rest of TSBT will want us to stay top 10 overall and will be only too happy to grab back the UK #1 as soon as you go off to fight on some other front.  :twisted:
But for now, well done.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

megacruncher wrote:Sheesh :roll:, and somewhere back in this thread someone tried to suggest that Scots were err.. overly fiscally prudent.

It's the lot of the habitual PC upgrader that he must face the fact, every couple of years or so, that his rig is no longer upgradable; chipsets sockets and memory standards have moved on and he has to move with Moores law and replace everything.
All very true of course....just a shame that some of the project WUs really need huge crunching ability.....scary sometimes seeing some of the "completion times".....

megacruncher wrote:Of course for the Boinc Farmer in particular this is a pricey option. But it has to be done: A Boincer has got to spend what a boincer has got to spend. You can save money by getting very basic graphic cards for most of the PCs (however many Boinc crunching stations you might think you need, nobody needs more than one top-end gaming machine). You can also recover a few dozen quid selling bits from the retired machines on e-bAY. So all-in-all the net upgrade cost per Quad shouldn't be more than £300.

Which, for an old timer like me whose first 286 in 1990 cost £1250 (about £2000 worth of groceries now), seems remarkably good value.  :)
Showing your age my boy....I got my 286 in 1989, and it cost me £800 with 1MB RAM, an 8bit Hercules graphics card and without a HDD (only a 5.25" floppy) and an amber monitor....wasn't even CGA....

Soon upgraded with an 80287 FPU, 20Mb Seagate HDD and eventually a 16bit SVGA card and a 15" NEC monitor and some extra memory with a add-in Extended Memory ISA card and Quarterdeck DesqView 286. At the time, most people had Amstrad's...so I was cock-a-hoop with my little set up.

And then came the 386 :-(

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Congratulations

Post by UBT - Timbo »

megacruncher wrote:On checking the latest stats it does look as though the quantity of UBT has prevailed over the quality of TSBT (26 against 5: I hope you are proud, you big bunch of bullies :wink: ).
I'm sure that one day, you'll have plenty of members supporting your efforts...in the meantime, it has to be admitted that this is a "numbers" game...and as such, whether it's quantity or quality, the nett beneficiary is the project(s)... :-)
megacruncher wrote:So congratulations to UBT. I hope you agree that we punched above our weight and have given you a good contest.
Not that you can relax.  :) I certainly plan to hold onto my top 10 individual position and I imagine that the rest of TSBT will want us to stay top 10 overall and will be only too happy to grab back the UK #1 as soon as you go off to fight on some other front.  :twisted:
But for now, well done.
Just keep plugging away....that's all you can do. And in the end, you can be proud of all your achievements, whether individual or on behalf of your team.

No doubt we'll see you on the next "battlefield"...

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Rick Horn

Good news!! We have regained our #1 UK position overnight by overtaking the Scottish Boinc Team. This also puts our world ranking up to #9.

This was a great team effort, well done to all. Keep us the great work  :D

Regards, Rick.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

All mine bar one have settled down to Cosmology only now so I'll do what I can over the next 5 days

Well done everyone else.

Gary.
UBT - Rick Horn

Rockinfroggi wrote:All mine bar one have settled down to Cosmology only now so I'll do what I can over the next 5 days

Well done everyone else.

Gary.
Thanks for your help Gary, and the best of luck next week.
Rick.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Just a quick question, do any of you have a lot of pendings on cosmo?
Just looked again and its down to 1250 at the moment?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Timby wrote:Just a quick question, do any of you have a lot of pendings on cosmo?
Just looked again and its down to 1250 at the moment?
Pending credit: 6,346.61 :?
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

19 Wus pending, 675 credits claimed. Given that each WU seems to actually give 60 credits, anticipate getting 1140 credits from these.
UBT - Rick Horn

Only Three pending here.
Timby

Post by Timby »

I take it that's a YES then, Oh well at least I will pick up a few credits whilst I am away for two weeks.

Happy holls here we come  Weeeeeeeeee...................

PS Frogs legs and snails for two weeks not good  :pukeright:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

714.27 pending here but obviously enough clearing to keep my RAC at an acceptable level.

As for frogs legs, yucky, stick to horse meat.

Have a great holiday Mark and you should be on your Million by the time you return.

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
Thanks for your help Gary, and the best of luck next week.
Rick.

Thanks Rick, and you're welcome, it's nice to feel useful again.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Rockinfroggi wrote:714.27 pending here but obviously enough clearing to keep my RAC at an acceptable level.

As for frogs legs, yucky, stick to horse meat.

Have a great holiday Mark and you should be on your Million by the time you return.

Gary.
Cheers Gary for those wise words on the Horse meat good idea, as for my next milestone ?? not too sure how long it will be.

Any way good to see you around on the forum even if its only for a short time.
I hope all goes well for you next week, just think of me in the sun on a beech in France, on second thoughts I don't want to make you feel ill again  lol.

Be good mate and catch up soon

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

megacruncher wrote:Quads are fairly cheap now and every serious Boincer should have at least one, irrespective of national stereotype.   :)  You can easily buy a Q6600 for under £200. .....
Hi all,

I've been doing a little bit of research on these Q6600's....coz at the new "reduced" prices, these seem like a good bargain for around £140+VAT each (from ebuyer.co.uk or even amazon.co.uk for instance).

Seems the current batch have a stepping of "B3"....and these are what are being supplied at present.

But there's a newer stepping of "G0", which apparently runs at lower power and hence produces less heat. :wink:

So, I'm holding off my upgrade plans until these beauties are available...might only be a month or so until the new ones are available.

regards,

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

The credits have now been set at 50 per WU down from 60.
My pending credits are going up and I've only received 110 credits in the last 24 hours from 3 slow machines :cry:
UBT - Rick Horn

Don`t know quite what is happening to Cosmos, but there are suddenly much more WUs downloading.
Maybe we`re getting shorter WUs, or they are opening up the project to everyone. I`ll try to keep you all posted.

Edit: All completed WUs after midnight are going straight to "pending", and although the server details claim that all systems are running normally, I have my doubts.

Rick.
UBT - Rick Horn

There is a definite problem with the server, but no one seems to know quite what it is at the moment.

Rick.
UBT - Rick Horn

We are about to be relegated to second position in the UK, and there is not much that we can do about it.

The threat is not our usual rival, but Team England (BOINC).
They only have 6 members, four of which are only about average, but the 2 top scorers have RACs of 3,750 and 9,893 respectively.
I don`t think even a full blown Sneaky Club raid would make much difference.

Let`s hope they tire of this project, and move to pastures new.

Rick.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Let`s hope they tire of this project, and move to pastures new.
I think they have done just that, see here and here, Riesel by the looks of things
Last edited by Temujin on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Rick Horn

Temujin wrote:
UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Let`s hope they tire of this project, and move to pastures new.
I think they have done just that, see here and here
That IS good news!

Rick.
UBT - The Prof....

One of my pet projects, this..

But @ the moment not running it as running cache down for the Gauntlet. :(
Will return to it later though  8)
UBT - Rick Horn

We`ve just topped Team England in terms of RAC to keep us #1 in the UK.
I wouldn`t say we were out of the woods just yet, but we are in a much better position than of late.
Well done to all, and keep on crunching!

Rick.
UBT - Rick Horn

Just to keep you all posted,  UBT`s Cosmo team is in 16th. position in the world rankings, and still #1 in the UK.
Our nearest UK rivals are Team England, but we are well above them with regards to credits, and our RAC is over 1500 more than theirs.

Therefore our UK position seems fairly secure for now, but I will monitor the position and update you if things change.

Regards, Rick.
UBT - The Prof....

Not sure if I've got a rouge wu... :?

Been running for 3:18:00 and showing 2.1%  :shock:

Comments please; should I abort or keep going and hope  :roll:
UBT - Rick Horn

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Not sure if I've got a rouge wu... :?

I`ve never known one run so long with so little progress.
Since you`ll only get 100 credits anyway, I`d advise you to abort it.

Rick.
UBT - The Prof....

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Not sure if I've got a rouge wu... :?

I`ve never known one run so long with so little progress.
Since you`ll only get 100 credits anyway, I`d advise you to abort it.

Rick.
Finally finished after 06:00:29  :!:
Now can't return it as project down for maintainance  :?

Just hope  I  get some credit for it eventually  :)
EDIT:. retried @20:55 wu returned and 100 credits awarded  :D