The View from the Bridge (December)

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

The View from the Bridge (December)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Well, we HAVE been busy....! I'll leave the major team report to Halifax, but we've moved up a ranking spot in the world and even more members have joined the Team - we're about to break through the 750 member threshold...!

And with the WCG Crunch coming up in the next few days, I'm hopeful that with some Team effort, we can help support the World AIDS Day, by generating some useful contributions to the FAAH project at WCG.

(If you've not joined the WCG project yet, please visit here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/.

You can use your BOINC client to create an account with the BOINC version of this project, by using the URL: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org in the "Tools / Attach to project" box of your BOINC client - then just add an email address and password, like you do when joining any other BOINC project).

On the projects side, (and from a UK ranking perspective) we're not making much of an impression on catching up with the UK team above us on these projects:

BBC CCE
CPDN
PrimeGrid
Project Neuron
QMC
Rectilinear
RenderFarm
RieselSieve
XtremeLab

And on other projects, for now, we're pretty "safe" in terms of holding onto our current ranking position, although we need to keep an eye on the following projects where some UK teams are currently generating more credits than UBT. So these are my suggested projects to crunch on during December, if you have any spare capacity:

RenderFarm
Rosetta @home
(HashClash would be included, but they have no WU's for download !)

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: The View from the Bridge (December)

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT - Timbo wrote:RenderFarm
Rosetta @home
(HashClash would be included, but they have no WU's for download !)
RenderFarm rarely has work
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Looks like bad news in a couple of days, some heavy crunching by Einstein at work, their credits per day is over 150k
http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_team_ ... o&id=10682  :cry:
Still not all bad news looking at boingstats.  There are 4 teams above our current
target only up to 42.3M that have an RAC less than us, and we have more
members every month  :D
If it was too easy we would appreciate our gains a lot less.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:Looks like bad news in a couple of days, some heavy crunching by Einstein at work, their credits per day is over 150k
http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_team_ ... o&id=10682  :cry:
I wouldn't feel too bad about this, as we've virtually swept all before us, over the last few months, so it was to be expected (and has been "seen coming") that another team will edge ahead of us...!
UBT - JohnR wrote:Still not all bad news looking at boincstats.  There are 4 teams above our current target only up to 42.3M that have an RAC less than us, and we have more members every month  :D
If it was too easy we would appreciate our gains a lot less.
Quite agree - it's a case of one step back and probably four steps forward over the next few months..!

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

On PrimeGrid we have no chance of catching the number 2 UK team who came flying past us a couple of days ago, one (of their two) team members has access to around 400 computers  :oops:
Not all bad news though as the current UK number 1 has been dead in the water for a while now so we should get back to number 2 UK by passing them in a couple of weeks and our world ranking has risen several places in the last week :lol:

EDIT:Should be about 6 weeks to get back to Number 2 UK, gain another world place in 2 weeks
Last edited by UBT-mark3346 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:On PrimeGrid we have no chance of catching the number 2 UK team who came flying past us a couple of days ago, one (of their two) team members has access to around 400 computers  :oops:
Not all bad news though as the current UK number 1 has been dead in the water for a while now so we should get back to number 2 UK by passing them in a couple of weeks and our world ranking has risen several places in the last week :lol:
The nice thing about PrimeGrid is that the WU's are nice and short and you get a good chance of being awarded more than you claim....

I've set my old P3 550MHz (print server) onto PrimeGrid now, as it's now hopeless on SETI....and it crunches each WU in about 55 minutes...!

So, if you have an old "cruncher", then put it on PrimeGrid for a while and we then have half a chance of catching up......

Having said that,  my main cruncher is now finishing off it's cache of PrimeGrid WU's and is switching over to WCG for the Crunch...!

regards

Tim
James Box

Post by James Box »

UBT - JohnR wrote:Looks like bad news in a couple of days, some heavy crunching by Einstein at work, their credits per day is over 150k
Seems that they have added cpus to their Merlin cluster, and it's not likely to go down again, unless it starts doing some real non-BOINC work.
UBT - The Prof....

WCG Crunch

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Have added WCG to my system and suspended most of the other crunch's for a while to boost output.  :lol:  Can't do this for long though else other results will suffer :cry:  Still for a good cause for a few days I suppose it won't matter... :notworthy:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: WCG Crunch

Post by UBT - Timbo »

The Prof... wrote:Have added WCG to my system and suspended most of the other crunch's for a while to boost output.  :lol:  Can't do this for long though else other results will suffer :cry:  Still for a good cause for a few days I suppose it won't matter... :notworthy:
Hi "Prof"

Thanks for your help.

This is exactly the sort of "helping a good cause" attitude that we like - we HOPE that people might crunch for the whole period.

But it's not a problem if they can't, as even a few extra WU's crunched by a lot of people will help the cause.... 8)

So, the more the merrier....!

regards

Tim