New Optimised SETI App's

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Halifax-lad

New Optimised SETI App's

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

http://www.zadra.org/seti_enhanced/inde ... =Downloads

Some optimised App's available not tried any of them as currently doing CPDN, so if some one wants to try them and report back :?:
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Would be nice if some one would try them out and report back ASAP, as it appears the Mega Mini-Summer Crunch may well be SETI project. So if it is we could possibly get more WU's out of the week with an optimised app
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

I've had the Linux version running for just over a day now, no problems so far, all the results have validated ok.

Speed seems to be better than crunch3r's app's were:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit ... d=84145248

Mine is the bottom PC in the list Athlon64 3000+, the one above me is a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+.  The dual core is running crunch3r's app and my slower PC finished the WU slightly faster (alougth the dual core may have been running 2 WU's at the same time).
UBT - Halifax-lad

I think the best thing about these one is they have worked closely with SETI to get this going so there should be no arguments of cheating
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I think the best thing about these one is they have worked closely with SETI to get this going so there should be no arguments of cheating
I hope so, but would'nt count on it.

Have you noticed though that on any projects froums it's normally the people who claim not to care about the credits that start kicking up a fuss about what other people are claiming.  :lol:

Just installed the windows version, will post some results as and when I get them.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

This is weird - even though there's no 'show graphics' tab on the BOINC manager, the graphics came up as normal when the screensaver kicked in. It did seem a lot quicker though while I had it on compared to before.

I've disabled it now but I'd have thought, for an optimised client, that would be the first thing to go!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

Finished the first WU with the windows app (AMD SSE2).  About 15 mins faster than the Linux SSE2 version with a WU of the same angle range (0.426).

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit ... d=84307023

No other results from the quorum at the time of posting this.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

any of you guys know if its worth trying this app on seti beta?
UBT - Halifax-lad

No point putting this on SETI BETA, ASTROPULSE will be coming out at some point so an optimised app won't work there, also if n the meantime the app version changes over there it means again the optimised app would not work
UBT - Halifax-lad

Hows the optimised apps running then on SETI not got around to installing one on yet
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

not had any die on me yet!
bit quicker aswell. which is nice.
was going to try the opti boinc client software to get the credit sorted out, but to be honest i can't be aked. lol.
looked to much like hard work. had to be a certain client to start off with and then change this and that.
unless i got it well and trully wrong that is.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well they have come up trumps again, now with a BETA Automatic Installer for Windows.

Was looking around to see which one to install as I had not done it yet and came across the automatic installer, it downloads a small program, small WU and all of the optimised science apps for SETI from this particular site. Stop BOINC load up the program and begin the test the program runs through all the apps and then reports back on which one is best for your own computer.

Took about 5 mins for it to recommend a optimised app for my computer and also installed it for me.

At last someone who cares enough about normal users to release such a easy to use way of installing a optimised app for SETI.

Edit: CAUTION: You will have to have the Microsoft .NET framework version 1.1 or later installed to use this application! In most cases, you will have it already.
If not, you can grab it from Microsoft
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Has anyone else starting getting trouble with this opti app?
This happend this morning :-

08/08/2006 17:33:51|SETI@home|Sending scheduler request to http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi
08/08/2006 17:33:51|SETI@home|Reason: To fetch work
08/08/2006 17:33:51|SETI@home|Requesting 172800 seconds of new work
08/08/2006 17:33:56|SETI@home|Scheduler request succeeded
08/08/2006 17:33:56|SETI@home|State file error: no application version setiathome_enhanced 517
08/08/2006 17:33:56|SETI@home|Can't handle task 12ap06aa.11756.21633.73576.3.183 in scheduler reply

Tried deleting all the opti stuff and then downloaded all new and installed it all again.
In the end just deleted the whole lot and let boinc install the non opti 515 ap ?
All very strange
UBT - Halifax-lad

Its down to a problem BOINC has when different projects have the same WU name so SETI & SETI BETA both have WU's with the same name.

A fix has been put in place and a new BOINC client 5.5.12 is due to be built to address this error. So just hang on for now
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Well they have come up trumps again, now with aBETA Automatic Installer for Windows.
Tried this and it crashed on the first run :-( ach well just have to do it the old fashioned way.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

worked on my AMD 3500+ no probs  8)

but no Seti WU's have been crunched yet due to other projects resourse values, so I don't know if the opti app works on Boinc.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

i detached from beta for now and will start crunching seti opti app on me rather ill opty 165  :sad4:
I think i have the dying sticks of Ballistix syndrome.
Lucky that they have a life time cover on them.
Have to put some time aside to run memtest on here.
mctooth

Seti apps

Post by mctooth »

KWSN  site has opptimised apps for most platforms for SETE and they do work if applied as per ith included txt document. SSS3 works well with quad .cores 8)

Mctooth (Andy)