Triangle screwdriver? (or ¼" hex bit)

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Triangle screwdriver? (or ¼" hex bit)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

It's not often I find myself "stuck" on something and being a keen "DIY-er" I've got many tools already so usually I have the right tool to do something (i.e. take something apart, put it back together, etc - too many days playing with Meccano !!).

Anyway, I'm in search of a couple of specific screwdrivers (or ¼" "bits") that have a TRIANGLE shaped tip - I need one that's 2x2x2mm and one thats 3x3x3mm.

These are normally used to seal an item so you can't take it apart.

(And I don't mean the Tri-wing tip as used on Nokia phone chargers and on Nintendo consoles, (which look like a three prong "star" or like the symbol used on the Isle of Man flag).

I've searched online at: eBay, Maplins, Machine Mart, Screwfix, Snap-On, plus a few "local" types stores as well as in store at Halfords, B&Q, Homebase, Maplins etc.

Anyone got any idea where I can find them?

(PS Have been told that Snap-On sell them, but at a very high price !!).

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

I got one of them for 99p from my local hardware store, in the local indoor market!

And for £9.99 I got a set that has every single security bit there is :)
They might not be the best "quality" items, but they at least get the job done once or twice, and 99p compared to the silly price of £10 (that I have seen them for) for a 1 off job you can't whinge.

So have a look at any market areas, and I'll bet you will find what you need :)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

If you have access to a small grinding wheel, you can carefully reshape a black Allen Key (not the chromed ones!) Don't get the key red hot, or it will lose it's 'hardness' :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:If you have access to a small grinding wheel, you can carefully reshape a black Allen Key (not the chromed ones!) Don't get the key red hot, or it will lose it's 'hardness' :D
Hi,

Thanks for the idea although I had contemplated making my own, as I have some "spare" bit of metal etc that I can fashion/file into shape.

But, I've got quite a few of these screws to undo (around 700 !!), so I was wanting something "off the shelf" rather than from "Messrs Heath Robinson & Co"....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:I got one of them for 99p from my local hardware store, in the local indoor market!

And for £9.99 I got a set that has every single security bit there is :)
They might not be the best "quality" items, but they at least get the job done once or twice, and 99p compared to the silly price of £10 (that I have seen them for) for a 1 off job you can't whinge.

So have a look at any market areas, and I'll bet you will find what you need :)
Thanks for that.

I'll have to take a look - my local market day is Friday...and I'm not sure I can wait until then - or even if any of the traders will do such an item.

On the other hand, I may have to, coz even if I find someone who sells them, it'll take a day or two in the post, as it were.

regards

Tim
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Yeah £4.99 online.
£10 next day delivery (making it Thursday)
Or standard delivery at 3 working days (Making it Monday)
:lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:Yeah £4.99 online.
£10 next day delivery (making it Thursday)
Or standard delivery at 3 working days (Making it Monday)
:lol:
Hi,

OK - you've got my attention now...so whereabouts "online" ??

regards

Tim
Timby

Post by Timby »

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsess ... curity+bit

Any good Tim ??  £2.99 for the small set
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsess ... curity+bit

Any good Tim ??  £2.99 for the small set
Hi,

Thanks for the link - but I had looked at ScrewFix and their 33pc set is very similar to those from Maplin's and others and NONE of them have a TRIANGLE tip in there....I can find almost every type of 1/4" tip, but not a triangle one.

Except in Maplins clearance - the part number is N48FB - but it doesn't state the size of the tip.

(if you want to see what it looks like, it's  here

(Third row up, 2nd in from the left).

regards,

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:But, I've got quite a few of these screws to undo (around 700 !!)
Wow! Make sure the one you get fits an electric screwdriver/drill adapter or you're going to have a very sore wrist and a blister on your palm! :shock:  :lol:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Not too sure about that one, but my kit only has 1 triangle. (guess the 3x3x3mm is newer :?)
Listed as 2x2x2mm
Only one I can see on Maplin is This one
Timby

Post by Timby »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the link - but I had looked at ScrewFix and their 33pc set is very similar to those from Maplin's and others and NONE of them have a TRIANGLE tip in there....I can find almost every type of 1/4" tip, but not a triangle one.

Except in Maplins clearance - the part number is N48FB - but it doesn't state the size of the tip.

(if you want to see what it looks like, it's  here

(Third row up, 2nd in from the left).

regards,

Tim
I take that as a NO then Tim  :wink:  Sorry I couldnt be of more use, just have to keep crunchin to make up for my lack of knowledge
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:Wow! Make sure the one you get fits an electric screwdriver/drill adapter or you're going to have a very sore wrist and a blister on your palm! :shock:  :lol:
Hi,

Yup - that's why I need these to fit perfectly into the screwheads, rather than "fudging it"....and yes, I've got a couple of Electric screwdrivers, that take the 1/4" "bits"..., if only I can find the "bits"....

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:Not too sure about that one, but my kit only has 1 triangle. (guess the 3x3x3mm is newer :?)
Listed as 2x2x2mm
Only one I can see on Maplin is This one
Hi,

Thanks for that - I did see this, but at £20 for what is essentially a single triangle bit, is a little excessive, as I've already got all the other bits at least two maybe three times over, already.

Hence why I was looking for just the bit itself or maybe a smaller pack which has them both.

regards,

Tim
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Just asked my friend about the triangle bits.
He says best place to try is local market (buy a few of them).
When I asked about a 3x3x3mm one I just got the "Are you stupid look" from him :(

And that's kind of worrying, as if the screwdriver bit exists he's got it....
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:I take that as a NO then Tim  :wink:  Sorry I couldnt be of more use, just have to keep crunchin to make up for my lack of knowledge
Hi,

Thanks for the posting - your help is appreciated, as I'm getting to the point where I'm almost grasping at any straw, having been searching the web for the last two+ hours :oops: and not really getting anywhere...!

I've got some further avenues to try tomorrow, by which time, I'll be refreshed and ready for the day.

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:Just asked my friend about the triangle bits.
He says best place to try is local market (buy a few of them).
When I asked about a 3x3x3mm one I just got the "Are you stupid look" from him :(

And that's kind of worrying, as if the screwdriver bit exists he's got it....
Hi,

Ah well, now you know what to buy your friend for their next birthday or Xmas, which ever comes first.

I've got 600 triangular headed screws in front of me, and I've measured the triangle shape cut into each one...and it's 3x3x3mm....!

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Oh hang on does it look like this (the 3x3x3mm)

If so that's a Tri-Wing bit, probably #3
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:Oh hang on does it look like this (the 3x3x3mm)

If so that's a Tri-Wing bit, probably #3
Hi,

Nope - they don't look like that at all....as you say, the type you have pictured are called "Tri-Wings"

As mentioned originally, the type of screw head I have have a triangle shape (actually an equilateral) cut into the head of the screw.

If I can take a piccy of it, I'll upload it here later.

regards

Tim
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

oh Dang I know the one you want.
Triangle Recess (TP3) :(

You looked on ebay?
As I'm 99.9% sure this time and those things are as rare as buses when your in a rush...
cris keys

Post by cris keys »

I have looked too, they sure as hell don't want people buying these things  :(  
Personally I would grind down a 3mm Allen key as was suggested before.
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Yeah, that's what everyone else is saying too :?

Kind of like a movie this.

Mr Timbo in "THE SEARCH FOR THE HOLY TP3"
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

cris keys wrote:I have looked too, they sure as hell don't want people buying these things  :(  
Personally I would grind down a 3mm Allen key as was suggested before.
Hi Cris,

In fact, as a "quick fix" this is exactly what I've done.....it was easy making the 3mm version - I used a 3mm hex "bit" and just ground off three corners, leaving the desired "triangle", but the 2mm version was very tricky as it is much smaller (and my eyes are going a bit....!).

I'm off to a local market in 10 minutes to see if one of the tool sellers has anything suitable....I'll keep my fingers crossed...!

Edit: Well, that was a pain....no-one knew what it was or where they could get one from....apart from everyone and their dog advising me to go to shops I'd already been to.....it gets a bit repetitive, when people give you their advice, and you have to answer "nope - been there already !"

There was one small success however - Maplins do a 68pc Ratchet set, (part number N53AW) which includes a 2x2x2mm triangle bit....the "set" costs £20....so, if anyone wants to buy a brand new 67 pc Ratchet set from me for say £19 (+ postage), then TWO people will be happy.

In the meantime, it looks like I'll have to wait until a friend in Hong Kong can locate some and post them to me....

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:oh Dang I know the one you want.
Triangle Recess (TP3) :(

You looked on ebay?
As I'm 99.9% sure this time and those things are as rare as buses when your in a rush...
Aha.....so they have an official name then ???? TP3 !!!

And yes, I've looked on ebay (and most other places I could think of) - plenty of peeps in Hong Kong do Nintendo/ipod "tool kits" for about £3 - and one of the tools is an unspecified-size "triangle" bit....

So, I can get hold of one of these things (size unknown) but that then means I still need to find the other size.

As for their rarity - that's why they are used as "security screws" - their very rarity means people cannot access the tools to take things apart....just like Torx was a few years ago...and you can get Torx tools anywhere nowadays....but I can't wait 3 or 4 years until "triangle" tools become commonplace...

regards

Tim
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Well since it seem to be the main security bit for the Nintendo WII.
I'm sure they will do the bus trick and start to appear all at once (when you don't need them :P)