Boinc behind a firewall?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
bosh

Boinc behind a firewall?

Post by bosh »

Is there any way to get the boinc client working behind a firewall, because it seems a waste not using my work pc.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Boinc behind a firewall?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bosh wrote:Is there any way to get the boinc client working behind a firewall, because it seems a waste not using my work pc.
Hi Bosh - Welcome to the team and the forum.

BOINC WILL work from behind a firewall - see here (copied from the BOINC website):

(quote)
"Connecting to host" is referring to internal communication between the Boinc Manager, which is merely the interface (the window with all the tabs and buttons)and the Boinc daemon, which does all the calling, connecting, scheduling, etc.

These elements converse over port 1043. First, are you running the Windows firewall, or any 3rd party firewall?

If so, you will have to go into the firewall configuration and give both Boinc elements permission for port 1043, and Boinc.exe permission for port 80, which is what it uses for external communication (uploading/downloading, etc).

(/quote)

see this link for more info:

http://www.google.com/search?domains=ht ... q=firewall

Hope this helps

regards,

Tim
bosh

Post by bosh »

Cheers

Yeah i have tried google, just lots of long winded rants with no solid solutions.

Iv got my windows firewall off, and it still don't work, so i guess my companies firewall must be blocking those ports.

:( So looks like my pc won't be showing rosetta any love.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bosh wrote:Iv got my windows firewall off, and it still don't work, so i guess my companies firewall must be blocking those ports.
If you can access websites via an internet browser at work, then port 80 is working and open.

So, the problem won't be there.

Maybe have a friendly word with your IT admin and see if he's happy to open port 1043 for BOINC.

Am assuming you have a desktop PC - obviously if it's a laptop, you can alway take it home (if you're allowed) and connect at home, download some work, then go to work. BOINC will only upload any work done, once it has a connection.

regards,

Tim
bosh

Post by bosh »

Nah its a desktop........yeah 80 is open my man....and alas the company is too big and nasty so i don't think they will open 1043 for me....looks like im destined to be a one machine man
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bosh wrote:Nah its a desktop........yeah 80 is open my man....and alas the company is too big and nasty so i don't think they will open 1043 for me....looks like im destined to be a one machine man

Not to worry - one machine is much, much, much betterer than none (and only very, very, very slightly worse than two)...!

BTW: Will you be joining us for the Rosetta Weekend Crunch - 25th-26th March?

regards

Tim
bosh

Post by bosh »

Every day is a Rosetta cunch weekend for me lad, my machine is never off...too much downloading of, off site back up being done.....and Rosetta is the only project i support.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I do hope you wasn't going to run BOINC on that computer with out getting permission 1st, most companies would use that as a sackable offence
bosh

Post by bosh »

Well i was gunna just bang it on aye......very much doubt helping to cure cancer would result in sacking.
UBT - Halifax-lad

bosh wrote:Well i was gunna just bang it on aye......very much doubt helping to cure cancer would result in sacking.
It certainly would result in a warning if not a sacking companies do not take lightly to there resources been used for other purposes especially behind there backs with no consultation
bosh

Post by bosh »

trust me lad.......me using the processer of my one machine to aid the cure for cancer aint going to bother a instatution of this size
UBT - Halifax-lad

bosh wrote:trust me lad.......me using the processer of my one machine to aid the cure for cancer aint going to bother a instatution of this size
Go ahead then, no one is stopping you, we were just making sure you were doing the right thing. :P
bosh

Post by bosh »

x x x