Windows Live OneCare....

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
DJH@GB-Ro

Windows Live OneCare....

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I was thinking of getting this when I build a new Windows computer because I thought it would integrate much better with Windows than Norton or McAfee..... but:
Click here for the BBC Article wrote:Windows fails second virus test

The OneCare software has failed two independent tests

Microsoft's Live OneCare security software has failed tests which check how well it spots and stops malicious programs designed to attack Windows.
OneCare was the only failure among 17 anti-virus programs tested by the AV Comparatives organisation.

Microsoft's software only spotted 82.4% of the 500,000 viruses that the independent group subjected it to.

The test is the second in less than a month that Microsoft's anti-virus software has failed.

Minimum standard

Live OneCare is Microsoft's flagship security program that, like many other anti-virus products, is designed to help PC users keep their machine clear of malicious software.

Austria-based AV Comparatives carries out quarterly tests of top anti-virus programs to find out if they have kept up with the growing mass of viruses circulating online.

The tests see if anti-virus software can spot a variety of malicious programs including macro and script viruses, worms, backdoors and trojans.

The majority of programs tested, 14, got an advanced pass or better from AV Comparatives; two got a standard rating and OneCare failed.

OneCare fared particularly badly against so-called polymorphic viruses which regularly change their configuration in a bid to fool security software.

"Microsoft OneCare performed very low in the test, and did not reach the minimum requirements for participation," wrote Andreas Clementi, senior tester at AV Comparatives, in the report about the tests.

Microsoft has yet to comment on OneCare's performance.

In early February, security magazine Virus Bulletin revealed that OneCare failed to spot all the viruses it tested the software against.

Despite these failures OneCare has been certified as protecting against viruses by the respected ICSA Labs.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

82.4% of 500,000 viruses - that is 88,000 viruses that it will not find.

That is a few too many for me, thank you very much.
AndyJG247

Post by AndyJG247 »

I agree but then its better than nothing  and I still can't believe how many people have that!
We use McAfee AVD at work for clients and servers but I find something like AVG or Kaspersky pretty good for home use.
The basic AVG is great as its free so there is no excuse!!

I trialled the One Care and it seemed fairly slick but I didn't like the lack of options.  I think it will get better but over time, like most of the MS products.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

AndyJG247 wrote:I agree but then its better than nothing  and I still can't believe how many people have that!
We use McAfee AVD at work for clients and servers but I find something like AVG or Kaspersky pretty good for home use.
The basic AVG is great as its free so there is no excuse!!

I trialled the One Care and it seemed fairly slick but I didn't like the lack of options.  I think it will get better but over time, like most of the MS products.
I thought they had stopped support and updates on the free AVG in February?
Kaspersky is great but a resource hog like Nortons.

I use Nod32 on all mine but those looking for a free one Avast gets great reviews and I think auto updates every hour.

Gary.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I've used many, found Bullguard to be the best !
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Rockinfroggi wrote:
The old version was 'discontinued'. The new version is free as before - I know - I'm using it!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

AndyJG247

Post by AndyJG247 »

7.5 is the new one and I know it was working last week.
It looks a bit clunky but it is fast (especially compared to McAfee) (IMO)
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:
The old version was 'discontinued'. The new version is free as before - I know - I'm using it!
Thanks for that Mike, I guess I didn't read the messages they kept sending me last year properly.

Gary.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Gary wrote:I've used many, found Bullguard to be the best !
I say Bullguard is the best.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

THink I'll stick with AVG. seems to have picked up every poblematic file for me over the last 5 years, Daily updates sometimes. LOw footprint. What more do I need
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary wrote:

Gary, take my advice and use Bullguard I'm pretty sure you'll love it :wink:

BullFrog
Gary

Post by Gary »

Rockinfroggi wrote:
Gary, take my advice and use Bullguard I'm pretty sure you'll love it :wink:

BullFrog
Ok, Ta very much.

Better looking Gary :lol:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Gary wrote:
Is someone testing my security ?

Firewall blocked an attack from  129.175.7.127

google results for this address

MundayWeb.com :: View topic - XtremLab HELP!
64 bytes from xw01.lri.fr (129.175.7.127): icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=121 ms ... Pinging xw01.lri.fr [129.175.7.127] with 32 bytes of data: ...
www.mundayweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1006 - 93k - Cached - Similar pages

UK BOINC Team Forum :: View topic - New Project in View?
Pinging xw01.lri.fr [129.175.7.127] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 129.175.7.127: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=48 Reply from 129.175.7.127: bytes=32 time=27ms ...
forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic.php?t=314 - 9

Hacked Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary wrote:
Gary wrote:
Is someone testing my security ?

Firewall blocked an attack from  129.175.7.127

google results for this address

MundayWeb.com :: View topic - XtremLab HELP!
64 bytes from xw01.lri.fr (129.175.7.127): icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=121 ms ... Pinging xw01.lri.fr [129.175.7.127] with 32 bytes of data: ...
www.mundayweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1006 - 93k - Cached - Similar pages

UK BOINC Team Forum :: View topic - New Project in View?
Pinging xw01.lri.fr [129.175.7.127] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 129.175.7.127: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=48 Reply from 129.175.7.127: bytes=32 time=27ms ...
forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic.php?t=314 - 9

Hacked Gary.
Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me, at a guess I'd say your firewall flagged it because I'm pretty sure Xtremelabs uses a different port to the other Boinc projects.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

XtemLab likes to chat not just when a wu is completed either.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Can anyone tell me can i use COMODO along with XP standard firewall?
And is Comodo as good as any ?
 Terry
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Terry wrote:Can anyone tell me can i use COMODO along with XP standard firewall?
And is Comodo as good as any ?
 Terry
No you can't, disable windows firewall then install Comodo, and yes, its pretty good.

Gary.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Thanks Gary Again

Terry